That’s that then.
Have just got off the phone with the dealer principal and there is nothing more that he can do for me with regards to a replacement car. The deal that was offered on Saturday is the very best that they can do, so the car is with me for the duration.
He has promised to get one of his service staff to call me (1) to book the car in to have the sat-nav looked at again. It seems that the problem now lies with the fact that they replaced some hardware in the dashboard and the software that they updated at the same time is incompatible with the new hardware. I have suggested that it would be a good idea to have the software reverted to a previous version and, with a bit of luck, this is what they will be doing.
I said that I would leave the car with them for as long as it takes to fix it, be that a day, a week or six months. I actually regret collecting the car, unfixed, 10 days ago, but that’s hindsight for you.
I have actually begun to question my sanity over this whole 18 months. Was I being unreasonable in expecting a dealer to tell me the truth about a part of a car, for which I paid extra money? Was it unreasonable to repeatedly take the car back to the dealer for software updates (some of which I am convinced were never done)?
Was it unreasonable to complain about the dashboard crashing? Was it unreasonable to have to wait 9 months before they found a fix?
Was it unreasonable to be annoyed when the dealer actually broke the sat-nav so that they took away the limited traffic information that it actually used to have?
Was it unreasonable to be further annoyed when they said that they couldn’t fix it?
Finally, was it unreasonable to expect a deal from a car salesperson, who fully empathised with my situation and actually said that he would be annoyed with it if he were in my position, which would actually sort out the problem without a great expense to me?
I don’t know.
But I do know this.
Never again will I buy a Mercedes Benz. I will be counting down the days until I can hand it back.
Currently at 268…
(1) Edit: No call received 5 hours later